A Homeless Man
I'm taking a break from my long list of people to invite for a work function; walking down to the CVS to get a Diet Dr. Pepper...feeling awfully sorry for myself. Having a little bit of a hard time, in somewhat of a funk, wondering what to do about it.
And I see this man, obviously homeless, using a bag of trash as his chair, and feeding the pigeons. He has the biggest smile on his face, just feeding and talking to the birds.
This makes me realize everything I should be grateful for. Now, do not take this the wrong way. I don't pity him, I hope life, in the material sense, improves for him, but I don't pity the man. I think pity is maybe the worst emotion to feel for another person. And how can I pity a man who is obviously so happy, at least for this moment.
But, if he can be so content just feeding the birds, I should strive for a similar mindset and seek joy in the small activities as well.
As I came back from CVS, he is still sitting there with the birds...and people are staring at him and shaking their heads.
Not quite sure why he is such a bother to everyone else, maybe they wish they had joy like that as well.
The funk is still hanging on...but now I think I know how to lose it.
1 Comments:
I'm very flattered to be listed with Gordon Keith and Bob Sturm under your blogs of interest! I'll return the favor tomorrow and add you to my list! Very nice work...I didn't realize what a talented writer you were.
Post a Comment
<< Home